Friday, March 30, 2012

Question with filegroups

I'm trying to tweak our DB as much as I can. We have the full application
database sitting on a RAID 10. Logs, tempdb, etc.. are on separate arrays.
I read some articles about making separate filegroups. Of course, they all
say to move them to different arrays, which because of budget is not
possible right now. I also read articles that say to put large tables in a
filegroup then add another data file to the group. This allows SQL Server
to use multiple threads to access the tables. Therefore, to my question.
If I split our database up into multipele file groups on the same array,
could I see a performance gain. Would the database be able to issue
different threads for each group when a query is run and improve overall
performance.

Thank you,

Adam"Adam" <adam@.someone.com> wrote in message
news:4269993c$1_4@.alt.athenanews.com...
> I'm trying to tweak our DB as much as I can. We have the full application
> database sitting on a RAID 10. Logs, tempdb, etc.. are on separate
arrays.
> I read some articles about making separate filegroups. Of course, they
all
> say to move them to different arrays, which because of budget is not
> possible right now. I also read articles that say to put large tables in a
> filegroup then add another data file to the group. This allows SQL Server
> to use multiple threads to access the tables.

This was true up to (or thru, I always forget) SQL 7.0. It's no longer
true.

>Therefore, to my question.
> If I split our database up into multipele file groups on the same array,
> could I see a performance gain. Would the database be able to issue
> different threads for each group when a query is run and improve overall
> performance.

No. But, for VLDB, maintenance can sometimes be easier. (and SQL 2005 will
have some REAL nifty things in this regard.)

> Thank you,
> Adam|||Hi

You may want to look at:
http://www.sql-server-performance.c...performance.asp

John

"Adam" <adam@.someone.com> wrote in message
news:4269993c$1_4@.alt.athenanews.com...
> I'm trying to tweak our DB as much as I can. We have the full application
> database sitting on a RAID 10. Logs, tempdb, etc.. are on separate
> arrays. I read some articles about making separate filegroups. Of course,
> they all say to move them to different arrays, which because of budget is
> not possible right now. I also read articles that say to put large tables
> in a filegroup then add another data file to the group. This allows SQL
> Server to use multiple threads to access the tables. Therefore, to my
> question. If I split our database up into multipele file groups on the
> same array, could I see a performance gain. Would the database be able to
> issue different threads for each group when a query is run and improve
> overall performance.
> Thank you,
> Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment